Friday, August 01, 2008

Sky Watch Friday?

These are the Koosh pillows that survived the trip through the washing machine. Bethany's old, yellow tube pillow did not. For the past two and a half years it has made its home on Hannah's bed but this morning met its demise submerged in a soapy appliance. This particular pillow has managed several other cleanings but today suffered a mortal wound while submerged in the sudsy depths. Bleeding micro-pellets from a gash in its side, it finally gave up the struggle and expired. Upon returning to the washing machine, I opened the lid to find gobs of pure white grains of... styrofoam? (I think that's what micro-pellets are made of.) This thick wet mess had made its way throughout the entire load and attached itself to both a blanket and a pillowcase, as well as the surviving pillows and several articles of clothing. I scooped handfuls of weightless "sand" from my machine and placed the contaminated laundry in a plastic hamper. I dared not take a photograph. Out in the backyard I shook the remaining offense out into the grass and hung the wet items on the clothesline before returning to the house where I vacuumed the remaining pellets from my washing machine. I did my best to clean the machine but my next load of laundry revealed a trace of "sand" also.

11 comments:

  1. Good sky watch! That is a cute picture and oh, the sandy stuff is the pits hope it doesn't do any damage to the inner workings of the machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The larger the load the more pellets that get caught on the clothes in the barrel. I think I'll be dealing with this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sad post. Sorry for you loss;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And did you go watch the sailboat races last Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I did not see the sailboat races yet. Wanna go with me this week?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what an episode...but your comentary was so exciting....I was seeing the picture without a photo!!!

    Loved this post, but sorry for all the extra work you had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How well you described the demise of the pillow! Mom, we need to write a book together.

    ReplyDelete