Thursday, August 28, 2008

The "List"

For the past week I have been tossing around hopes and dreams, ideas and ambitions. They have bounced about my brain, muddled my mind, and confused my concentration. I have finally come to the conclusion that this "Bucket List" is actually a compilation of possibilities. I thought I should go out on a limb, dream big (but realistic), and have some fun. Here is my "Bucket List".

1. Open a coffee shop- Maybe I'll just turn my kitchen into one and always be ready to serve guests fresh baked goods and a hot cup of coffee. Of course, there will be big, soft cookies for the children and homemade jam to spread atop a slice of hot bread.

2. Own a pottery studio- One day I'll buy myself a potter's wheel and put that little kiln out in Barn 2 to good use. I'll fill my cupboards with turned plates, bowls, and cups, make all sorts of wonderful sculptures and sell them to the locals and tourists. I'll never be seen without a ball of clay in my hands.

3. Design and manufacture toys- I've painted several puzzles in my time, but since my stop at the Fisher Price Toy Town Museum, I've again been thinking about making toys myself. (I used to dream of toys that didn't even exist. This is because I haven't ever really grown up.) Between James or Nathan and myself, we could think up and build some pretty cool stuff.

4. Become a published author- I'm pretty sure I've already "written a book" here on my blog, but I think it would be great to actually write a story and see it on the shelf in a bookstore. I know its a longshot, but anything is possible.

5. Create a "Kidspace"- I think it would be a riot to take a small space in my house and turn it into a play area for children. Imagine opening a kid-size door in the hallway and finding a miniature world inside. It could be whatever I wished it to be... a forest, the ocean floor, a tiny house, a castle... Hmmm, do I really need that walk-in closet?

6. Meet more of my blogger friends- I've met a few so far and its hardly like meeting a stranger. Maybe I'll do some traveling too.

In the midst of my endeavors, I pray the love of Christ shines through, that no matter what He leads me to do I will be a testimony to His love and grace.

17 comments:

  1. Oh I am smiling so big, my heart is full! This is a great list and you can do it!!!
    Open up that coffee shop in Barn #2? or your house, put lots of your hand thrown pottery about, serve off of it! Build toys for the kids to play with in the "secret room". The kids will fall in love with the toys and the parents will have to buy one to take home and at the same time buy they buy the cup and plate they ate off of! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna be a published author too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep practicing, Joe. You have tons of good ideas and have a grand repertoire of story tellers in your ancestory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also love to do Number 1 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list, Martha, and it sounds just like you to write it! All of those things sound like great things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic ideas, Martha! As I started the list, I thought one would pop out as the best, but they all seem so perfct for you. I definitely think that the toy thing could be a great success since you have those excellent wood workers in your family:) I just know you should write a book, too and I think you almost already have the tea shop in your kitchen. You are always baking and ready to have someone come in and sit down for a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha ~~ I love your "Bucket List" In the short time I have known you through "Blogland" I can see you having a little coffee house, and I already want to be a customer.
    Your other ideas are great, and certainly not our of reach!!

    BTW To answer you question about my mother's siblings. The tall one, Uncle Bill and the one sitting next to Grandma, my Uncle Clarence, were both over 6 feet, as was my grandpa John. The rest of the kids took after grandma, who was not a big or tall woman.
    I'm the shortest in my family, and all my kids are taller than me and most of my grandkids.

    Lots of Love
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great list of things to do. Denis dreams of opening a coffee shop some day - actually an espresso place with himself as the barrista.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. Now just imagine if you somehoow pulled off all those things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great list!

    I used to think it would be fun to own a coffee shop. But I realized that I can't stand the loud sound of the espresso machine.

    I think you could easily write a devotional book. At least that's what I think of when I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you could just have a coffee shop for one day, and invite all your blogger friends. Have you ever been to the Toy museum in Rochester, the Strong museum? I absolutely love it! Toys from my childhood, the doll I used to have, all the stuff my friends had....and the play area has a secret room, with a tiny doorway...and the 3 bears' cottage, and a troll bridge....and a room devoted to American Girl dolls. Fun, fun, fun.

    If you haven't been in the last few years,(it was renovated), then go! Even baby Josh would like it!

    della

    ReplyDelete
  12. Della, I haven't been to the Strong Museum since Hannah was about 3 and she's 13 now. I'll have to think about making a return trip. Maybe I can find someone with little people who would like to go along.

    The Blogger day sounds like a wonderful idea! Turn my kitchen into a coffee shop for a day... Yes, I think that could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Martha... I know of a place for rent on RR ave that might work for your coffee shop! We NEED a coffee shop in this town. hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That list does sound a lot like you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "In the midst of my endeavors, I pray the love of Christ shines through, that no matter what He leads me to do I will be a testimony to His love and grace."
    I've no doubt that will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this list, its so full of love and warmth and creativity....

    You have a huge heart...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think those are such cool ideas and dreams. I am all for dreams myself. Did you ever read law of attraction? It's a great book about achieving them.
    Thanks for stopping by for a visit! It was nice tomeet you! :)

    ReplyDelete