Saturday, June 03, 2023

Ugh, My Favorite Word

It's time to renew my health insurance through NY State... and I make $4,000 dollars too much a year to qualify for free coverage. In order to keep my health insurance I have two choices. I can pay slightly reduced amount for insurance, or I can reduce my taxable income by $4,058/year. It comes out to be about the same either way. I could never figure this out on my own so I am grateful to both Pat, who brokers the health insurance, and Nick who takes care of my IRA, which is where the nearly $80/week will go. I am now left with creating a budget to insure all my expenses are covered, and finding ways to pay my current debts and reduce spending as well. (Having raised seven children I am somewhat familiar with this game...)

One sure fire way to reduce spending and save wear and tear on my car is to change jobs locations. If I were to secure employment within summer walking distance, say a mile or two away, I could save $180.00/month on gasoline and probably hundreds more on car repairs. I'd also save money on a gym membership, if I had one. Ha ha! I am currently looking into this option. I filled out an application. Another daycare center about a mile from home. Wish me luck or say a prayer.

The bedroom tunnel is looking longer but not as dark. It may never get finished, but it's finished enough to put back in some semblance of order. We can now access the attic and I can find my clothes and belongings. My bed remains downstairs and I am (mostly) okay with that. We're cooking up a downstairs plan too. For now the upstairs room will be a place for doing physical therapy exercises, sorting belongings, and finding alone time if needed. It looks bright and inviting and that makes me smile.

In other news, which isn't at all new or shocking, I went to the lake. It's been very calm recently so it was fun to see it kicking and screaming this afternoon. I came home with a ton of pictures, two slightly wet feet and a wet backside. So exhilarating!!!


6 comments:

  1. Larry and I pay nothing now...Advantage Plans are worth every cent! We are Medicare, retired.
    Great coverage.
    Attic room looks great and the lake must have been relaxing.
    Have a sweet Sunday!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all work out one way or another. Perhaps this health care thing is the nudge I need to make some more life changes.
      The attic was encouraging yesterday and the lake was fabulous! When in doubt, go to the lake. It rarely disappoints, although it will probably be stinky by next week with all that stirring.
      It's a beautiful day!
      :0)

      Delete
  2. You sure look pretty with your windswept look! Yes, God has a way of working when we don't see it. Praying doors will open that will help in your financial stresses! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous day to be at the lake!
      I'm looking forward to seeing God work in this situation. He's been pretty amazing so far.
      Love you too!

      Delete
  3. All I can say is Ditto to everything Wanda has said. God does amazing things especially in ways we didn't expect..
    hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It knocked me a little off kilter this past weekend, but I'm starting to relax and look at it as a challenge. I'm sure something good will come of it. Maybe there's even a prize at the end... if there is an end. LOL!

      Delete