Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Sweet September 2020

September is here again. Sweet, sweet September...

It's been over a week since I've written and that is highly unusual for me. The past week was both exhausting and emotional. I've been working longer days again and still getting up early. Sometimes I stay awake too late. This accounts for being tired. It was my mother's birthday on August 26. I thought I had that under control. I saw it coming and was sure my awareness would alleviate any sadness, but it did not. Combined with a few other stressors, I once again found the need for tears. I never cease to be amazed at the calming ability of tears.

I've been to the lake multiple times in the past week. Last Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Sunday, and tonight. Monday was the night of the violinist. The lake was placid and calm.

Tuesday's wind was wild. The waves stirred a thick soup of seaweed, mud, and debris that blanketed the shore.

By Friday the waves had calmed and the air was cool, the short shore of rocky beach, still covered in yuck. I heard music in the distance, the distinct melody of the violinist, and there he was out on the deck of a lakeside home playing his violin.

On Sunday afternoon I found myself home alone, but sent out a text and ended up meeting my friend Laura for some pizza and a walk along the Erie Canal. It was a beautiful afternoon!

No one was home on my return to the house and it was almost sunset, so I did what has become my practice. I took another ride to the lake. Ha ha!

The beach was looking cleaner, but the water was still filled with algae and grossness. I found a semi clean corner of water, where the rocks jut out into the lake just before the mouth of the creek, and put my flip flop clad toes into the water. In no time at all, the waves lapping at my feet had soaked the bottom foot and a half of my blue jeans.(Those are not my feet.)

Tonight the water was clear again, the smooth, round lake stones visible along the beach. I wanted to put my toes in the water again, but I had left my flip flops home and was wearing socks and sneakers. I snapped a few pictures, but didn't bother to walk the break wall this time. A friend I'd promised some elderberries sent me a text, and I left a few minutes before the sun sank into the water.

Tomorrow I get an extra hour of morning sleep. My hours are being switched back to the school year schedule. We have a second infant teacher who will be there early from now on, and the daycare is filling up again. Today I fed about 45 children. Thankfully it was one of our rare hot dog days. They're pretty easy to cook. Still, it was a crazy day. It's actually been a crazy week already, but so nice to see the smiling faces of our returning kids, as well as getting to know some new ones. I still love my job. I get lots of hugs. :)

6 comments:

  1. Well hearing music at the lake must have been wonderful. I cry lots of times too. If I am sad about things, I cry and then I pray. It helps. I love the sunset photo. Blessings, stay strong, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing music at the lake was absolutely wonderful! I had to go all the way down the break wall to the parking lot and find some money to put in his bag. So very beautiful!

      I cried much when I was younger, but got to a place 20 years or so ago where I stopped. I recall thinking it odd, as though I had stopped feeling many of the emotions that had n=once come so easy. Tears the last few years have been healing. No wonder God says he keeps them in a bottle.
      I am growing stronger every day. God is so very good.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. that violinist was magical..God knew what you needed.
    I'm glad to see that you are reaching out to friends and getting out..that's so good for you. That's a lot of kiddos coming back to more normalcy...we are still in lockdown and probably will be until the Good Lord returns to take us all home!!
    thanks to our Governor ...don't have much good to say about him...end of political rant California is going down the tubes.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an enchanted evening! Such a beautiful gift.
      I don't always know who to call when I am feel lost and alone, but doors are opening. Laura is often alone too and we have enjoyed walking together on several occasions.
      Our lockdown is semi still in effect as well. One never knows when the Almighty Governor will decide to change the rules or revert back to old ones. There are still 30 states on his quarantine list. Visit one (mostly on a flight) and you are automatically required to quarantine for 14 days. Minnesota is on the list. No visiting my son by plane or him visiting me. So thankful for our time in Michigan (which has stayed off the list so far) and our summer vacation! And that is the end of my political rant.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Your trip to the water, and the special violinist was magical. You draw me in with your wonderful photos. You and your camera are ONE! Love You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't he something? I'm still hoping to run into him again, but it's already been 3 times and summer is coming to an end.
      I do love my cameras. Maybe a little too much. Ha ha!
      Love you too!

      Delete