Tuesday, September 22, 2020

An Unaccompanied Outing

 I looked up "solitary" in the thesaurus. I found words like lonely, desolate, and withdrawn, but I did not feel friendless or forsaken in my weekend wanderings. I felt peace.

After my time at Lakeside Beach State Park, I headed east. Hamlin Beach was next on the parkway. As I'd already paid the $6 fee to get into one state park, I figured I'd make it worth the money and stop at two. I drove to the farthest parking area, walked to the beach, and took my shoes off. The park was sparsely populated with only a few individuals here and there.

The water was surprisingly cold but I was undeterred, intent on enjoying the moment to its fullest. The previous park's beach was mostly stone. Hamlin Beach is mostly sand, both course and fine.

A driftwood log made a good seat. As I let my feet dry I noticed groups of geese float in from the lake on the far side of the beach until the beach was teaming with waterfowl. Some stood guard while others preened or took naps.

After the geese came the seagulls. They rested on on the water until close to land, and then flew to the beach, segregating themselves from the geese initially, and mixing ranks as their numbers grew.

It was getting late in the afternoon when I took my camera and headed back to the car. My heart was full and my mind at ease. I would get home in time to stop at the grocery store, and maybe even in time to stop at Webster Park to soak in the sunset...

6 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful day. I love the pictures of the beach. I would love to visit these beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living along the shore of a Great Lake is a blessing I haven't always appreciated to the fullest. It's far too easy to take for granted something that has always been there. I am purposing to be grateful and soak in Lake Ontario's loveliness.

      Delete
  2. Martha, Some times I fear my daughter gets lonely...she lives alone and has one son, he is married and a thousand miles away. She lives near me, thank goodness. She will do the very thing you just did...go out alone and enjoy nature and she loves birds. I hope you are not friendless or forsaken. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loneliness is unavoidable at times. I am learning to combat it by stretching my wings and being thankful. I do hope your daughter is not painfully lonely, although it must be hard to have one's only child so far away. I am not friendless, and certainly not forsaken. I am purposing to use the alone time I am given to soothe my soul.

      Delete
  3. A Magical Day, Martha...
    That type of day is just soul rejuvenating.
    Love the photo of your shoes..
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredibly rejuvenating day! No one to tell me to hurry up, or slow down. No one to look at me funny when I climbed down the cliff. And no one to tell me when to stop, where to go, or when to be home.
      My shoes were happy too. (Found my flip flops in the car this afternoon. They certainly might have come in handy at this beach...)

      Delete