Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Strange and Unsettling

The world has become a very strange place. While I believe there is an actual virus, and that it can be deadly, it feels like there is more to this than we can see. I know a couple of people who have been sick, but not hospitalized. I don't know anyone (yet) who has died, but I know this could still happen. Mostly our world has been totally tipped upside down. While there are positive results to some of this (I actually saw children playing outside this week!), I never thought I would feel uncomfortable simply because I made the choice to go shopping. What was perfectly normal a month ago now feels almost criminal. It's weird.

Anyway, this morning I had an appointment to have my summer tires put back on my car. They're already mounted on rims, so it doesn't take long. I was given an 8 am "appointment" and told it would be about 40 minutes. Seemed excessive for just switching out tires, but I figured I could walk down to the grocery store while I "waited." Can't wait in the shop. That's not allowed this week. I bought a coffee in the store and went to look for a muffin in the bakery department only to find a single muffin was not available. I didn't want four already packaged muffins, so I went in search of a different breakfast. I filled my cloth bag with sundry items while passing masked strangers. It felt as though only myself and the store employees were unmasked. No one came within more than a few feet of each other. If anyone smiled it was difficult to tell. It felt like an alien planet. When I returned to the tire place, my car was unmoved. I opened the door, set my bag on the floor, and searched out my snack; a small fruit bar. Then I called my sister and paced the sidewalk. A man came out of the shop, pulled my car into the bay, and while I chatted with my sister, he changed the tires on my car. It didn't take long, and then I went home.

At home I preheated the oven and baked a canister of giant sized cinnamon rolls. A wide eyed child smelled them cooking and was incredibly interested. Once they were cool enough to frost, I gave him an entire roll and a little bit of almond milk. He was absolutely delighted... until it was gone and he found out he could only have one. Ha ha! His mommy said maybe we could find some more for breakfast on Easter morning.

Today I sorted through old files and  threw out a lot of useless papers.  I finished last night's dinner from Webster Hots for lunch (That's a cheeseburger, curly fries and baked beans topped with meat sauce, mustard and ketchup. Kind of a Rochester thing...) and
after Number Nine got up from his rest (I don't think he slept... ), we went for another walk. The sun was bright and people were outside. I even saw children out on bikes and playing in yards! Neighbors said hello and life almost felt normal again. So fun!

It was a good day. No new baby yet. We're still waiting.

2 comments:

  1. And the Beat goes on..and on...and on...
    Glad you got your tires fixed.
    Here in No. Calif. we don't even think about that type of thing...
    I'm drooling over the rolls..can almost smell them from here.
    Just got back from a long, brisk walk around 3 or 4 long blocks. It felt good to keep the joints oiled. Only 1 other person was out jogging...we nodded and smiled and went on our way. It feels like it's going to rain again.
    Hubby is finishing up on taxes and I am going to finish straightening another cupboard. It is a forced work...I opened the cabinet to get out a coffee filter and everything and its brother came tumbling out.
    That's what I get for not putting some things away properly...Oh well..it will be nice when I get done.
    Hope the rest of your day goes well.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought another canister of sweet rolls for Easter morning.

      Delete