Saturday, April 25, 2020

More of 1968

I am intentionally leaving out so many things from Dad's diary, but the bits and pieces of my early childhood help me know the little me a little better. 

May 31, 1968- Rained most of the day. I borrowed a dump truck and hauled crushed stone most of the day. We need one more load. Marth likes dump trucks. Prisc doesn't. Tonight we mowed the lawn. Our place is looking better. Lots of work. Tea. Tired.

(My dad's uncle owned a construction company and thus Dad borrowed a dump truck. It was a big one, at least to a four year old. I remember feeling pretty special riding along with him in that truck. We drove across the Irondequoit Bay Bridge on our way to and from home. Later I would dream of Dad driving the truck across while the bridge was breaking. It was a recurring nightmare and terribly frightening.)

June 5, 1968- Bobby Kennedy was shot in LA. ... After work I took our lawn mower to Jim Muskers's and brought home an orange kitten. ...

June 6, 1968- Bobby Kennedy died. A shock to the nation. ... Our kids love the cat. ...

I learn some interesting things reading these old journals...

June 16, 1968- Ar and Marth stayed home. (from church) Marth had a earache. ...

(I remember the earache, the pain deep inside each time I swallowed, and the fluid that spilled onto  my pillow when my eardrum eventually ruptured.)

June 17, 1968-  ... The Lord spared Marth and us a terrible accident with the mower. ... 

(At present I do not recall this incident. Not exactly anyway. I do recall my mother's grave and stern warnings concerning lawn mowers. And I also remember my parents being much more shook up about whatever happened, or whatever it was that didn't happen, than I was.)

June 20, 1968- ... Marth's heart murmur has progressed. ...

(I know absolutely nothing about having had a heart murmur.)

In recent news, my little friend Sofie left this world early yesterday. My friend Lia is heartbroken. I've found myself teary as well, but I am at a loss as to whether I am sad for Lia, myself, or whether Sofie's passing is helping me grieve another piece of my mom. I think it is most likely the latter.

It was a gorgeous day! Rachel and I took a long walk to the village and back again. Later I went to her house for a bit while Hannah and Sergio were gone.

7 comments:

  1. It was a gorgeous day! I love the diary entries.❤ I wish we could ask them about the lawn mower incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you went running to him while he was mowing... ? I never got such stern lawn mower warnings.😉😄

      Delete
    2. No doubt I got too close.

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying you Dad's journal because it helps me know you a bit better. It's an intimate look into your lives.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps me know me a little better too. Once in a while it clarifies a cloudy memory.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha...Your Sophie and our Molly were so much alike. I know exactly how you feel as my heart still aches for Molly. I tried to hold a stuffed rabbit when I have my coffee...but it's not the same. Life has many hurts and losing a dear pet is one of the hardest. I love hearing the stories of your childhood. Precious, Precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling emotional lately, but a good emotional. When there are tears the wounds begin to heal and this is good.
      Oh, goodness! I miss your Molly too. She was the sweetest, just like the shih tzu I had before we got Sof. Sofie was more of a pip than Ellie. Ha ha!
      It will take forever and a gay to sort through Dad's diaries... Okay, maybe not that long. He stopped keeping on in the middle of 1971.

      Delete