Sunday, January 19, 2020

Phantom of the Opera

I have more good moments than bad, and my days are filled with smiles and laughter, however this has been a month where the gaping hole in my heart has made its presence felt more often. A friend at church asked how I was. "I'm mostly good, but there is still a gaping hole inside. I answered as I placed a clenched fist against my chest, "It's been worse the past couple of weeks."

After talking for a few minutes, my friend looked at me and said, "It's Missing Limb Syndrome. A part of you has been severed and you are experiencing pain where missing part once was."

It makes sense. It makes perfect sense. This friend is absolutely right. Love doesn't automatically disappear, and everything inside of me has been programmed for a way of life that no longer exists. New patterns take time to establish, and a "new normal" doesn't happen overnight. A part of me will experience pain for the rest of my life, although time will bring smaller and less frequent waves. Learning to ride the waves, understanding why they exist, and trusting they have purpose are all imperative.

I am okay, and I will be okay tomorrow. God knows exactly what I need and He has never failed me yet.

5 comments:

  1. And He wont! He is always Faithful. Today, I'm trying to trust Him more. Don just took a new high powered water pill in hopes this will release the water piling up in his body. I want answered NOW...God is showing me that maybe NOW is not HIS timing. So I wait..and I pray, and I trust...Are we both now learning every day new ways to trust!! Blessing on you my dear Martha... In this World we will have trouble...that a given...But HE has overcome the World, the Flesh and the Devil. Praise God! We are on the right side. We are the overcomers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is always and forever teaching us to trust Him more, to remember He is always and forever with us, and He will never ever leave us. Trouble is a given, but so is His love.
      Please give Don a hug from me. I love both of you.

      Delete
  2. Oh Martha, Wanda said it so beautifully.
    The phantom limb syndrome is a perfect example.
    Yes, you are okay, and you will be okay tomorrow. God does know what you need (and I need). He has never failed us yet and He never will.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep breath in and out again as I give it over into The Hands which hold us all. I am not alone and this is good.
      I love you, Sue.

      Delete