Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Bits and Pieces

It's late and I have to get up early again tomorrow, but it's been a week since I've posted anything so here I am.

* After not spending any time at the pottery studio for several weeks, I have now been thrice in less than one. I met a friend there on Friday evening and spent 3 hours playing with the clay I'd wedged up two weeks ago. I'm sculpting figures again. On Monday I stopped quick to uncover my work so it could dry completely, and tonight I made a return trip to play in the mud some more. My friend Myung was there again, and some other familiar faces as well. It was nice to see my friend Ginger who I haven't seen there in a very long time. In January I start a new hand building class and will make some more friends.

* I was slightly under the weather this past weekend, and after meeting my friend Laura for breakfast after church on Sunday morning, I went home to take a nap. I slept a whole 2 1/2 hours and then went to bed early to boot. I was asleep well before Idris. And then I beat him into bed again on Monday night. By Tuesday morning I was feeling all rested and well again.

*  I finished reading a book on Friday night. It took me a couple of weeks, but I can finally say I read the book I bought over a year ago and left on my shelf. It was just too much information to absorb at the time. The Body Keeps the Score is not an especially easy read, but it is full of fascinating information. I'm still digesting much of it, and starting a new book as well. Going with something different this time, but yet another book I purchased and left (mostly) unread. Desiring God by John Piper was recommended by a friend years ago. Perhaps my concentration has been off for that long...? Anyway, I am making a valiant attempt to use some of my downtime at work in a more constructive manner. While babies sleep, if they sleep, and all sleep at once, I read.

* Hannah and I took Idris down to the bay to feed the birds just before dark on Saturday evening. No bread, just a bag of canned corn. The seagulls were happy with our offering and the child was thrilled to feed the birds. I was happy to take pictures of my grandson and his mom doing what I used to do with my kids not so very long ago.

* The past couple weeks have been emotional. The book I read was difficult in ways I wasn't expecting. Although I am in a healthier spot emotionally than I was a few years back, I can still find the wind knocked out of me every once in a while. Sometimes the drive to work is teary as I continue to work through hard stuff and as I watch my family work through hard stuff as well.

* Thanksgiving is almost here. Bethany is hosting as well as Sabrina. I will be taking pumpkin pies to Beth's house and eating dinner there, and making a visit to Nate and Sabrina later in the evening. I am looking forward to the long weekend off work. Four day weekends are unheard of at the daycare, unless it's Thanksgiving, which makes Thanksgiving a little like Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. So happy you could play in the mud some more. I'm looking forward to seeing your new creations.
    Glad you are feeling better and getting back to reading..I'm doing the same thing too. Books have been sitting on my shelf for far too long. Finally finished an half read book after a year.
    Enjoy your time with family for Thanksgiving and some treasured time off too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to a short work week and a long weekend.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Fun thing to do with kids.

    I was wondering where you were going to be for Thanksgiving. I assumed you would be at one of your kids homes, but was going to ask just in case they all happened to be going to their spouses families homes or something.❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a good day as long as I can get those pies baked.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. I am thankful that you are back into the pottery studio and I love the pictures of him feeding the birds.
    Emotions are such hard things to deal with it at times and no one understands how we truly feel unless they live it. I am sure that as each day goes by, you will find a new way to accept life as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful to be back in the studio too. A few pieces have been put in the kiln room to be fired.
      Emotions can be terribly hard. I am learning every day but it sure is a long and tedious process!
      :0)

      Delete