Friday, October 04, 2019

The Bucket List and Other Sundry Thoughts

I can check dumpster diving off my bucket list. This afternoon, on my way out for my lunch break, I tossed a banana box into the dumpster.  On the way up, the box caught my keys and tossed them in the dumpster too. I heard them hit the bottom... There is always something to be thankful for. The dumpster is emptied Friday mornings, and the only thing inside was the box and my keys. I headed back inside the daycare for something to help me retrieve them. At my boss's suggestion, I came back out with a ladder. She asked if I needed any help and I told her, "Only if I can't get back out." Ha ha! I felt a little silly climbing into the dumpster, but I needed my keys, Up and over the edge I went, hoping my exit plan would not fail, and just liked I'd hoped, the banana box made a great step stool. If not for that I'd have been out of luck.

It was three o'clock and the little ones were just on their way outside to play when I came around with snacks. Graham crackers and bananas (because I wanted to get rid of the bananas before the weekend...) and milk. Two small boys were on their way home. One left in his mother's arms, a graham cracker square in each hand. The other, my little friend Parker, was waiting for his mom to return from the baby room. I told the teacher I'd stay with him while she took the others outside. Once they were gone he sat at the table and I gave him his treat. He was very happy to have me sit and talk to him while he chatted and ate his food. Sometimes it's just the way their eyes light up when they see me, or when I stop to give them a little attention. This is one of my special kids. We're not supposed to have favorites, but I have a whole collection of them!

PS. This is quite obviously not Parker, but another little friend who also loves graham crackers.

2 comments:

  1. You Martha, are so special to all those little Munchkins. Your tender heart just oozes from you.
    Even Dumpster Diving adds to your adventurous days.
    So glad you were able to get back out of there and it was on an empty bin day...P.U. if it was another one...you made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love each and every one of them!
      The dumpster dive was pretty adventurous and added a little excitement to my lunch hour. Just glad it wasn't full of stinky diapers!
      :0)

      Delete