Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Work and the Blues

Feeling fickle and still tweaking my work schedule. I'm cutting back to 21- 29 hours a week. Although the job near home is nice, it means another entire afternoon tied up every week and I am feeling overwhelmed, so... after this week I'll be working 8 hour days Monday, Tuesday, and every other Saturday, and 5 hours on Wednesday. I think I can handle that.

Blueberry season is upon us and there is no way I can keep up. Our wet spring has left our berries plump and juicy. I am glad for grandchildren who find berry picking fun. Maybe they will pick enough to make a pie. I'd be willing to bake them one if they are willing to bring in the blueberries. As for myself, I'm going to avoid pie at all costs. It only piles up under my chin and I can't afford anymore of those shenanigans. I think I'll pick enough for My Darling to snack on and leave it at that.


It was a long day at work. My dear friend has been feeling terribly anxious while sitting in the dining room or common areas. She is her most quiet and settled self when laying on her bed during the afternoon hours. I put a CD in the player while she rests and attempt to keep myself busy with writing, crocheting and... gulp!... doing word search puzzles. I eat my lunch and try to stay quiet.

Some days the Memory Care Unit feels especially sad and life appears terribly short. I have to gather up moments to smile at like when my friend "saw" a woman with a turtle and asked if I ever had one. "What's a turtle good for?" I asked her, "Soup?"
"Well, they're good for soup," she answered, "but they make good pets because they're too slow to get away"
Yes, sometimes Memory Care is lighthearted and those are the moments I must take away to savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment