Saturday, July 25, 2015

From the Land of Blueness

My sad little blueberry patch is bursting with blueness. I took a little walk out there this evening and found that quiet peaceful spot of years gone by. I filled an eight cup measure and then went back to the house for a basket and filled that up too. There is a little boy a couple miles south of here who wouldn't mind having a few blueberries to snack on, so tomorrow I will be sending some off with Hannah for her friend Raul. (He picked a few of his own when the grandkids were here for Hannah's birthday so he knows they're yummy.)

The birds have been leaving peck marks in my berries too but I guess there are enough to share with birds and snails (who apparently also like blueberries). I think it was last year that I said "Forget the blueberry patch! I'm letting it rest for a year and the birds can have them all." And look. Now I have enough to share again.

Some of the branches are heavy and low to the ground, so I sat down in the grass to pick off the fruits and take a "Lookin' Up" picture. (I think I like it. Maybe I should use it for a banner at the top of my blog...)

I filled this little basket right up to the top and could probably fill it up again once more (maybe tomorrow). If I'm feeling especially kind, I might just make a pie, just one, and maybe I'll dig up a good blueberry coffee cake recipe. Whatever is leftover can either be eaten by James or be popped into the freezer for a future occasion. (If those grandchildren don't hurry back I'll have those bushed picked clean.)

9 comments:

  1. Is it okay if I come and pick some on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is okay, but I will have to leave for work at 10:45am. If you come early it will be cooler outside and maybe we could have some coffee on the back porch.

      Delete
  2. I love your blueberries and I painted a card a few years ago from a picture you put on your blog.

    We had "store bought" blue berries with our fruit platter today.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember that painting. Maybe I'll go out and pick a few more.
      Hugs to you too.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. I just LOVE blueberries. I used to make a thing called Blueberry Buckle and it is a dessert cake thing severed with cream or ice cream, but is equally good served as cake cold. Really delicious. They are so good in a fruit salad too. YUMMMMMMM! Your photos are beautiful.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear Blueberry Buckle is wonderful but I've eaten so many different blueberry desserts in the past 14 years that I can't even recall anymore if I made that or not.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. Even tho I am not a big blueberry fan they sure do look yummy! I think the picture would make a perfect banner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These blueberries are extra yummy, not at all like "store-bought" blueberries. You would like them.
      And there is my new banner.
      :0)

      Delete