Sunday, November 04, 2018

Can't Beat That!

It was crisp, cold, and sunny! A perfect autumn day. My friend Laura met me for church this morning and we went out to breakfast afterward. I had my favorite stuffed French toast at The Golden Boys diner and she had Eggs Benedict with home fries. It was a long, leisurely meal. Neither one of us was in a hurry and so we each just enjoyed the other's company and conversation.

After breakfast we donned our sneakers (tennis shoes) and warm jackets, and met Rachel for an autumn walk. I won't bother telling you how she said she'd meet us at Abraham Lincoln Park and then called to ask where we were when she was down the road at Lucien Morin Park... We decided to drive down the hill to the end of the bay and meet her there.

We climbed hills, walked the edge of small cliffs, and tripped over roots, taking in the beauty of late autumn with both eye and lens. I was surprised at how much energy I felt along the way. We'd walked quite a distance before deciding to turn around and go back the way we'd come, as the trail was not the looping kind.

The walk back was decidedly more strenuous, with more uphill climbs, and both Laura and I found ourselves talking less and breathing more. It was a wonderful afternoon. By the time I got home and sat on the couch for a bit, my eyes were heavy and all I wanted to do was tip over and close them for a bit. So I did.

The weekend is over already. Half of it was dark, dreary, and wet, but both days were full and satisfying. Tomorrow I will return to my job of loving little ones and doing my utmost to make their days a little brighter and a little yummier. And what do you know? It should be a tad lighter when I step out the door in the morning.

8 comments:

  1. You made me laugh out loud with your agreeing "not to bother" telling about my little mix up and then telling. So funny! Now I know where Abraham Lincoln Park is. I really meant Lucien Morin. Don't know how I got the two confused. It was a great hike through the woods on a refreshing and beautiful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't just leave it out of the story altogether. Ha ha! We were wondering why it was taking so long for you to get there. We had parked right by the entrance to the parking lot and were outside of the car. Too funny. I'd thought about suggesting Lucien Morin Park, but you'd already said the other. It was a beautiful day. Thank you so much for being part of it. And have an absolutely splendid birthday tomorrow!
      :0)

      Delete
  2. ...it was a great day to be out. Wow two sunny days this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, Martha. Nothing like getting out in the bracing air of autumn, is there? We had a beautiful fall day on Saturday and a day that felt like early winter on Sunday- ugh! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a season of change. We had a wonderful day! There is noting quite like a day spent in the woods when it's too cold for mosquitoes. ha ha!
      :0)

      Delete
  4. Oh Martha...what a wonderful, beautiful day. You girls are adorable. btw, my favorite breakfast at Mimi's is stuffed french toast. Love and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful day. Just the kind of day I love.
      :0)

      Delete