Saturday, February 03, 2018

Pick a Card

Make a choice and go with it. I've made two choices recently...

First of all, I've decided to drastically cut back on my coffee consumption. It was a week of chasing headaches away with Excedrin, but I made it through. I did have two small cups last weekend, but for the most part I've been drinking tea. Caffeinated in the morning, herbal thereafter. The coffee craving has waned dramatically and nature is calling in a more reasonable voice these days.

Second, I'm playing the gluten-free game again. I've done this before and found many of the daily aches and pains slowly disappeared. My joints and muscles were less achy, and I felt better overall. Then I would start eating it again and those symptoms would gradually reappear. Being gluten-free is a hassle but I'm climbing back on the wagon. It'll be two weeks tomorrow. Thankfully there is a vast array of good gluten-free foods out there.

This afternoon I decided to make soup. I perused the store in search of ingredients. I wanted something a bit different from the tomato based soup I made a few weeks ago, something gluten-free for me, and vegan for my sweet girl. I came up with this. My first post on this blog in four years. Who knows, maybe I'll resurrect it.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Martha........I have been gluten free for about 5 years after many years of belly aches that were getting worse. After 1 month it was like a miracle. I have found a great GF bakery.....the owner is a celiac......and the bread is the best I have found except what I make myself. The GF bread from the supermarket is awful at best. I don’t eat a lot of bread, but every now and then I live a piece of toast and a natural nut butter. Stick with it....you will feel so much better.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bread recipe I love too. It's on my other page, but I'm not sure I have the time for baking or freezer space for storing the ingredients right now. Thankfully, Trader Joe's has some great gluten free bread if I get the hankering.
      :0)

      Delete
    2. GF means anything made with wheat, barley and rye. I read ALL labels as you would be amazed at the things that lurk in our food :(

      Marilyn from Canada

      Delete
  2. I have never liked coffee. Some people adore it and are hooked on it. As for the gluten. The dr. thought for awhile I had celiac but determined I did not. But, I do know my body is not crazy about me eating breads. And, I do love a hot roll with butter. Oh yum. Hang in there. You will feel better very fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Latane. I am feeling better already.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. I have a good recipe for a vegan potato soup...cut potatoes, carrots and celery into bit size pieces. Put into pot and just barely cover with veggie stock. Once potatoes are cooked through take the stock out and set aside. Blend half the potato mixture with a bit of the stock till smooth. Add blended mixture back into other potatoes. Add green chilis and season as desired...add more remaining stock to make soup thinner as desired. We had it for dinner tonight...I added ham to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that sounds perfectly scrumptious!
      And hey, it's nice to see you here.
      :0)

      Delete