Sunday, February 07, 2010

Rock Of Ages

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,

Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

There is a strange comfort in the singing of old hymns. With each passing year, with each dying loved one, the picture becomes clearer and the cross of Christ more blessed. This past week two men we knew passed on, one was James' father and the other a dear friend from church. We all knew Vince was sick and struggling, but we didn't know he would be called home on such short notice.

3 comments:

  1. How I love the "ROCK" of ages, and how I love to sing this old hymn.

    We had a wonderful message this morning in church with Communion Service.. We sang many old hymns about the Precious Blood of Jesus, that washes away our sin.

    Blessing on you Martha, as you grieve the loss of dear ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Vince. I lost a friend to suicide a week ago and I am still sad and in shock.. I get emotional thinking about him.

    And I too sometimes find comfort in the old hymns.. another I love is "It is Well with my Soul".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat photo to go along with your words! Like Wanda, I'm sorry for the recent deaths of those dear to you!

    ReplyDelete