Sunday, October 31, 2021

I'm Okay

Not working in the daycare kitchen created a strange surprise yesterday. I was walking through the store when I came upon a Campbell's Soup display. There on the shelf was the elusive Campbell's Chicken Gumbo Soup. My mom had a recipe for making Sloppy Joe's with just the thing, so I bought two cans of soup, a package of hamburger rolls, and a couple pounds of ground beef. Maybe this cooking break at work will work to Hannah's advantage.

I woke up feeling ill this morning. Headache. Queasy stomach. (Probably from the headache.) I went downstairs for a cup of tea and something to tame the headache, listened to church online, and went back to sleep for half an hour or so. When I next awoke the headache had dissipated and I found functioning possible.

My car goes into the shop Tuesday. I'm borrowing a car from my cousin for the next couple of days and hoping my own will be back to feeling like herself again soon. *fingers crossed

I took my cousin's car for a ride down to the lake this afternoon so that I wouldn't be driving it for the first time tomorrow morning. Our glass hunting sandbar is pretty much gone. The rains from last week's nor'easter washed it out into the lake and opened the creek to brown trout, steelheads, and salmon. Good for both fish (maybe) and fishermen. I snagged a few pieces of glass from what used to be the sandbar and snapped a few pictures. 

Down toward the road and on the opposite side of the creek from the parking lot I found a woman fishing. "I know you," she said, and I answered, "You do?" She asked if I used to homeschool and then told me her kid's names. Nothing was familiar at all except her eyes and her voice. "What's your name?" I asked her, and that was when I knew that we didn't know each other from homeschooling at all. It was CoDA. We chatted for a bit, then she went back to her fishing and I went to Target.

It's Halloween night. When I was a little girl the streets of this small neighborhood were filled the costumed children, but in recent years the crowd has been pretty thin. Even so I bought a couple bags of candy this afternoon, just in case. It's 6:20pm and I've had three children come by so far. I'm here by myself so it's kind of nice having a little company, even if they don't stay more than 20 seconds. 

Oh, yeah. Yesterday afternoon I cleaned off my shelf at the pottery studio. I'm just throwing money away (or making a huge donation) by keeping it. I never go outside of taking a class, so there's really no reason to keep it. I'm feeling a peace about it this time that I didn't have at the beginning of the year. I still love playing in the mud, but I'm thinking it's going to go in a new direction. Stay tuned to find out, along with me, what that means.

6 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your blog forever and I think never commenting. But I also have a recipe for sloppy joes that calls for chicken gumbo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying hi today!
      Maybe it’s the same recipe. It always makes me think of my mom and home. Comfort food.
      😊

      Delete
  2. Sloppy Joe's are such comfort food!!! Haven't had it in years, but it was a regular when the kids were young. Way too much sodium for my dearest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the perfect comfort food! So yummy!

      Delete
  3. Never thought of chicken gumbo in the sloppy joe mix..I might have to try it.
    I am anxious to find out what direction your mud throwing creative spirit is going to take you. Hope your car is working good again.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to toss the recipe on here somewhere. Just for fun.
      I'm missing my very last pottery class tonight. I've already glazed everything I could find and taken everything else home. I'll have to go back to pick up the finished pieces, but there wasn't really any reason to take my borrowed car into the city of Rochester tonight.
      My car is still at the shop. I have to decide what I want to do with it... I am inclined to have it repaired, but it is very expensive.

      Delete