Monday, October 25, 2021

The Weekend

 It was a nice weekend. We celebrated Idris's birthday (which is really the 27th) with a party on Saturday afternoon. I made pizza for the guests and Hannah put together a fabulous cupcake shark. It was cold outside so we had a full house. I love that this child gets birthday songs in both English and Spanish. I also loved that he seemed to appreciate it more himself this year. (It was actually Bethany's birthday, but she was willing to share with her little nephew, and we sang the birthday song for both.)

Yesterday morning I met my friend Gail out in Sodus Point for one more walk along the shore. The sun was out and we collected a few bits of glass along the seaweed strewn sand and stones. When we got hungry, we drove down Lake Rd to Burnap's Farm Market for lunch. Theirs is a seasonal market and so they'll be closing down soon for the winter.

A bit farther down Lake Rd I turned off into the orchard and drove all the way through to Shepherd Rd where our farm sat like an old friend who looks mostly the same but has dyed her hair and wears an unrecognizable garment. I looked enough to see that Jon has cut down the apple trees on the property he owns and put up a fence. Kudos to him for facing down the farmer. Other than that I couldn't look much and found later that I hardly remembered the drive from there all the way back to Webster. It still aches but the memories of home are sweet.

I am okay. Both inside and outside. I can make healthy choices, like going off medication that causes terrible itching (I scratched all day Saturday) and breaking a date with an old friend (I was invited by the father of the groom to a wedding) when I see that his choices aren't healthy for me or my family. God is still here with me, fighting for me, leading me, gathering me close when I start to wander, and always, always loving me. I am forever blessed.

5 comments:

  1. Hello sweet Martha. I am never your first comment!! I'm glad you are OK inside and out. Just wish you got get rid of the itching. Now I totally understand...Don is doing much better, ad the only way we can explain it is GOD. Maybe Don's testing time is over for a while. He never complained..I love him so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. The cupcake shark is adorable. We had a Birthday Bash on Sat. We have 6 birthdays in October and my daughter decided to make it a costume party with Smash Down Whrestling as the theme. Will put some pictures on my blog in Nov. when I get back to blogging.

      Delete
    2. The itching comes and goes. If I can ignore it long enough, or am distracted enough, it goes away. I actually slept without Benadryl or NyQuil last night. First time in a week! That is progress. I am quite determined to kick the Zyrtec habit. SO glad Don is doing better!

      I love your daughter's idea. We have a ton of October birthdays too. You might think it was winter nine months earlier... I love that you are the first to comment. I've missed you.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. So glad your itching is better..what a relief.
    Good choices..God is holding you close...love that.
    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The itching is better some days, and not better some days. I'm hoping one day I'll wake up and it will be miraculously gone forever.
      God is always good.
      :0)

      Delete