Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Folding Up 2019

I'm spending this New Year's Eve alone. I did get an invitation to Ovid from my sister Priscilla, but the weather looked formidable and my body was tired and achy. Inside I desperately wanted to go, but instead I took two ibuprofen, bought myself a coffee, and headed for home. I could have gone out to Williamson with Hannah and Sergio, she offered, but somehow I felt the need to stay here. My thoughts have vacillated between worry that being alone might make me weepy, and feeling confidently okay with the solitude. Reality has been a little of both, and that's okay.

2019 will be forever remembered as the year I pushed our divorce through. We started mediation with the county in May of 2018, but I honestly didn't have the strength to go through with finality until this past summer. It was something I had to do, not something I wanted.

Ours are issues shrouded in secrecy. I have carried shame on all sides, shame that is not mine to carry, and I have kept secrets too, but my arms are tired... There have been not only boundary crossings, but fences shredded, ... and family members along with them. Abuse is ugly and I am finally drawing the line. Maybe in many ways it's too late, but I still have to do it. It is imperative. And it has been excruciating.

Thankfully, I have a God and Savior who has never left me alone. He has not only preserved my parents' home as a refuge for me, but He gave me a song to drive the point home (Who You Say I Am). He has answered my prayers, lavished affection upon me in the form of little children, and provided for all my needs. My heart aches, but I know He loves me. He loves all of us.

It has been a hard year, but a good year as well. I am finding a new freedom in being me, and I'm learning to love the me I am.

4 comments:

  1. We spent it quietly here watching Batman Begins. I hadn't been feeling well for a couple days and was gone in the afternoon yesterday, so Dave and I needed a "date night" here. ;) Honestly, I prefer to just be home on New Years Eve. Maybe I'm more introverted than I ever thought. Come over and work on our puzzle today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me forever to get warm when I climbed into bed last night, and my legs ached deep inside. Although doing our puzzle sounds great, I probably won't be venturing out today.

      Delete
  2. Martha...praising the Lord for all you have been through and where you are today!
    Baby steps but they are going forward.
    Thank you for sharing your heart and your struggles.
    God is Good and the song He put in there is perfect.
    I stopped and sang it through myself and said ..perfect for Martha.
    Keep growing and sharing your life with us.
    We will keep praying for each other and Going Forward !!
    Happy New Year and enjoy your Freedom in being You!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only in the looking back that I can see how far I've come, and He is still leading me on.
      Thank you for each and every prayer!

      Delete