Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Barn Collective

Every once in a great while I get a hankering for a good ol' fashioned fried cake and Schutt's Cider Mill has some of the best around. Whether they're plain, powdered, or covered with cinnamon sugar, they're impossible to resist. (Oh, my goodness!)

Across the street from the store/cider mill is the Schutt apple farm where stands this mighty fortress in all its aged splendor.

I must, one day, in my travels, when the leaves turn gold, take my camera along and ask to walk the farm road and take a photo or two. The roof is old and the board sides weathered to priceless perfection. I long to crawl through a back door and step back into time. I can smell the cow  manure already and I think I hear the farmer calling to his son at the other end of the barn. (I read a lot of books as a kid... Can you tell?)


Anyway, once the good Lord wields his autumn paintbrush, I shall wander over to Schutt's buy a box of assorted fried cakes and aim my camera in the direction of this beauty. And while I'm at it I'm going to imagine that farmer's wife ringing the dinner bell.

More fun stuff over at Tom's Barn Collective.

11 comments:

  1. ...cinnamon sugar fried cakes get my vote. I must say that this barn hasn't caught my attention in a while. Have a great day Martha and stop back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one caught my attention a couple years ago and that it why I keep thinking about it when I'm out there. Just wait until those vines turn red.

      Delete
  2. Hello, great barn find. I would like the cinnamon fried cakes, yum! Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon fried cakes are sounding yummy now.

      Delete
  3. Weathered wood!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weathered to perfection. Only takes a hundred years or so.

      Delete
  4. "Aged splendor" is the perfect description. I've never had a cinnamon fried cake, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fried cake sounds delicious! And I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I so love this old beauty!

    ReplyDelete