Monday, April 27, 2015

Going to Work

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 
Philippians 4:13

For the first time in seven weeks, I did not get up and go to the nursing home on Monday morning. Kind of strange to think I've been there every week day since March 16th, even though three of those days I had to turn around and go home. Most of the training is over. I've been through a drug screening, a background check, and been fingerprinted. I've had titers drawn, received a flu shot, and had a physical. I've been instructed, quizzed, and tested. My borders have been stretched and I continue to find God equipping me to do much more than I ever imagined possible.

If all goes according to plan (big "if"), I will work three twelve hour days each week; Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, then Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, and then back to Tuesday, Friday, Saturday again. It's been a gradual increase of time on my feet. My knee is balking, but my feet appear to be getting used to the action.Whenever I'm not sure my body can take the action, I recall that God has placed me here and trust Him to provide the strength. Whenever I'm not sure what to do, I think of my mom and ask myself how I would take care of this person if it was her. What if this was my mom (or grandma)? How would I respond if this was my dad (or grandpa)? There are still factors that make me uncomfortable, but as the work becomes familiar, it also gets easier. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

8 comments:

  1. I'll say it again,,, you are my hero. I've visited Rest Homes for over 50 years, and have been the caregiver for several family members....you are an angel in human skin...don't ever forget that. Ting a ling...You have your wings...Love and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, if there are any heroes, they are the two that went before me, leaving a shining example of how the Lord enables His children to do what He calls them too. I never imagine it would be this.
      I love you!

      Delete
  2. You do have a gift, you know...I'm not sure I could do it. You have to have a love and desire to be there. I love how you try to see them as a parent or grandparent and how that helps you know what to do and say, etc. Very wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, there are all kinds of things we couldn't do without Him, and all kinds of ways He enables us to do whatever it is He's called us to. When I am tired and/or unsure I try to remember how He has enabled others to do seeming impossible jobs too. You too are doing a job that takes tremendous amounts of wisdom and grace. Thank you for being there for those boys.

      Delete
  3. Trust in the Lord with all your heart...those who do will not be put to shame. You ARE doing the Lord's work, and since I have some nurses in the family, I have an inkling that it is NOT EASY. God gives grace to the humble, and you are one of the most humble people I know. :)

    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Della, I so wanted to say, "I'm proud to be humble..." In all honestly, sometimes it feels as though I'm just watching myself do this without actually being there. God is good. His work is rarely easy, but He gives the strength we need to get it done.
      Thank you for you prayers and encouragement.

      Delete