Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A New Kind of Schedule

I am getting used to my new schedule. I think the Benadryl at night has done wonders and I am grateful for its wonder working properties. I learned quickly to eat a good breakfast and make my lunch light. A yogurt, a granola bar, and a piece of fruit get me through the day nicely.

I saw my friend from yesterday again this morning. We didn't speak but he made me smile just the same. He was tooling down the hall in his wheelchair, his feet moving very quickly, and singing. Every once in a while he would yodel a refrain. Around the corner he went singing, "I fall to pieces..." the knit cap on his head completing the scene.

The CNA class has been interesting. I'm finding that I not only learned a lot from watching my father's illness and taking care of my mom, but I am also learning how I could have done some things differently. I'm thankful that moms are typically very forgiving and also very much aware that my own mom would be blessed if I learn from the experience and use it to help others. She had a huge heart for the residents in each of the nursing homes she and Dad visited weekly. They went to four every week until my dad went into the hospital a little over five and a half years ago.

Since I haven't had time to play with my camera, I've been perusing old family pictures. The old photo of my grandpa and a shaggy dog out in the snow makes me smile. I love the gloves and what look like goggles. (Maybe someone else can tell me if it's something different. I know he wasn't flying airplanes...) And then there is my grandma, with her hand holding onto her hat, and maybe one of her six sisters. I lose track of which sister is which and then sometimes I'm not even sure if it is one.

Okay then. I'm off to bed. It's 9:36 pm and getting late.
:0)

10 comments:

  1. Love the hats....and maybe those are goggles for some seriously mean sledding? haha.

    Glad you're getting used to your schedule and finding some things to smile about while you're there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever those goggles are for, I think he's looking handsome in them. He looks young and happy. How I miss him, that grandpa of mine.
      :0)

      Delete
    2. Your comment reminds me of this song Dad used to sing...
      There's an old apple tree in the orchard,
      That lives in my memory.
      It reminds me of my Pappy,
      He was handsome, young, and happy
      when he planted that old apple tree... :)

      Delete
    3. Rachel, I had to go back and read my comment to see what you were talking about. Wish I could hear him sing it again.

      Delete
    4. Me too. I can hear him in my head and see his raised eyebrows and tapping foot as he sings and plays his guitar. Can you hear him now?

      Delete
    5. Yes, I can hear him that way, and sometimes, when I tap my own foot in time to the music, I see him tapping his too.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I love the old photos....especially since I have never seen these before. I know grandpa was into motorcycling....but I doubt he would have been doing that in snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, I got these from our cousin Kathy. I thought of the motorcycle too but I doubt he's have been cycling in the snow, but then again he was young.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Love these old pictures.... I want that hat!!! They are so cute sitting there.

    Glad your routine is working out. You simple lunch sounded good.

    Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photographs are a wonderful peek into the past and a great way to see Gramma and Grampa in a whole different light.
      :0)

      Delete