Saturday, June 08, 2024

Sometimes She Cries

 And what think you of tears?

The toddler Martha stood silent, a knot blocking her throat, desperately attempting to hold back the torrent of tears welling up within...

I am a crier, much to my parents chagrin and much to the annoyance of my former husband, who both likely determined my tears to be a form of manipulation, but "silent tears fall at the moment when we feel the most alone, vulnerable and lost."

 (I went in search of a quote that might speak to my thoughts and found it here. I don't know that anything in the article represents me. Honestly, I didn't read much. I was simply collecting words that fit my own thoughts.)

I've shed so many tears in my lifetime that I'm certain God has several cisterns full because there couldn't possibly be a bottle big enough for all the silent tears I've cried. I'm finally finding words for what I feel and, sometimes, like today, for why. It is the fear of feeling lost, vulnerable and alone.

This week came with a major (from my perspective) relationship shift and try as I might to squelch the Toddler Martha, she appeared again and again until I lay in bed at night in the dark of my room, tears flowing, speaking out loud to the small child within. "It's okay. It's okay... You're going to be okay." 

Life is full of loss. It is also full of gifts. Letting go is hard, especially when the heart becomes entangled, and even when I know deep inside the release must come. The hand can only grasp something new when the old is set free.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully thought through "inner child." You really have a way with words. Release is so difficult but as your closing sentences say, its the only way to be set free..
    (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I have to also say I am a crier and have that legacy in my very DNA. Hubby is the same way too. At times it is very cleansing.
      Sue

      Delete
    2. Crying is definitely a cleansing process. I have decided to embrace it when possible, and pray my eyes recover before I have to go out in public. LOL!

      Delete