Thursday, February 15, 2024

So There.

So, I was feeling anxious enough to call the doctor this morning on my break. A little short of breath (nothing excessive), a tad lightheaded (which could mean nothing), and totally overwhelmed along with that heart that I can almost always feel beating. (It's beating. That's good, yes?) 

My boss was less than thrilled when I told her. "Will you be coming back afterward?" she asked in an exasperated tone, along with a look of disgust. 

"I don't know," I told her, "It depends on what happens.

"I'll have to rewrite the schedule," she muttered.

I could be reading more into her tone and answers than I should. I want to like her. I want her to like me. I've had more than my share of appointments in the 6 months I've worked there... She doesn't really know me, and I don't know much about her, but there has never been any hint of concern from her. No "I hope everything goes well!" or "How is your hand feeling?" (I fell on it in January.) Nothing. It feels as though she couldn't care less.

Anyway, I had my highest blood pressure reading ever when I arrived at the doctor's office. They checked both arms with the machine, and then did a manual check as well. The doctor checked it several  minutes later and it had relaxed significantly, but it was not any lower than it had been on Monday. She decided to prescribe a low dose of medication and suggested I pick up a blood pressure cuff and track my readings for the next two weeks. They also did a quick EKG and said perhaps I should see a cardiologist due to a slight abnormality. (If my kids are reading this at all, don't panic. I'll let you know if there's anything big going on. My appointment with cardiology isn't until I come home from Disney.) Oh, and the doctor also wrote me a note to stay home this afternoon and tomorrow. 

Winter has descended. It was cold when I walked into the doctor's office a little before 1 pm. Bitter, even, but the ground was clear and dry. And hour or so later, when I was buying a blood pressure machine in Target, the snow started coming down. It will be an entirely new world out there tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like your "new" job creates stress for you. It's so hard when the boss really disconnects from personal issues. A little kindness goes a long way with me. Hope your BP gets under control and the heart issues calm down.
    I want you to triumph over the road blocks in your way and Disney is good medicine!!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the stresses of the past have finally caught up with me. I had hoped the new job would be a healthy decision. I had plans to walk to work but the fluctuating start times are a little tougher at this time of life and affect sleeping, waking, and meal times. Kim, my old boss, was very easy to talk to and always seemed genuinely concerned for our well being. She bent over backwards for us and we did the same for her. The kids are stressful enough without adding anything else on top of it.
      Disney is sounding fabulous. Did I tell you we're going without the kids? Imagine that!

      Delete
  2. I hope your heart issue is a very mild one. Are you seeing Mom's old cardiologist, Dr Soliman? I should probably have an EKG or stress test sometime. I have always told Dave that I wonder sometimes if I have a heart issue. I can feel winded easily, but my blood pressure is always normal.
    Glad you have a vacation coming up! We're looking forward to a break too.
    Sorry about your new boss. Maybe she's feeling stressed too. ? I hope you don't regret leaving your old place. Maybe there's another one close by that would be a better fit. ?
    Love you, Marty.🩷

    ReplyDelete