Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Just Because

February. Or is it April? It certainly doesn't feel like the middle of an upstate, central, or western New York winter. Where is the snow and the sub zero temperatures? Not that I mind a mild winter, but I don't quite trust these mild ones... Last weekend was absolutely marvelous! Next week we could be buried. We never know.

It's been a week steeped in emotion. In years to come I won't necessarily know what the emotion was regarding, but I chronicle it here just the same. Tears, they say, are healing and so our souls bleed tears. They come in torrents, washing pain and sorrow from deep within our souls and God, in his tender mercy, collects them in a bottle... I've cried gallons of tears in my lifetime. How big must these bottles be?

The toddler room has been total chaos. Toddlers are absolute tyrants. They are defiant, headstrong, and cruel, especially to each other. Pushing, hitting, kicking, biting. Throwing, tearing, grabbing, climbing. Screaming, yelling, whining, crying. And then they look at you with sweet innocence, wrap little arms around your neck, speak your name for the very first time, and grin ear to ear over new accomplishments. It's exhausting, frustrating and rewarding all at once. (I forgot to mention any of the other messes they make... food, poop, boogers... paint, mud, drool...) You'd think with all the things we tolerate in the classrooms, that administration would be kinder. Ah, perhaps we all really are tall two year olds.


5 comments:

  1. Martha, you described my grandchildren so well! Maybe I have a case of Mother's Amnesia, but I don't remember my own kids being quite so...challenging. They probably were, but I don't think I tolerated as much of the whining...It's a good thing those little ones are cute though. I imagine it's extremely challenging to work with them though, requiring always a bit more patience than you actually have. Hugs to you, in your trials, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always requires stretching my patience. I do not understand today's way of trying to reason with tiny tots. I believe in talking, giving choices, and always making sure they are loved, but where is the discipline? I loved watching toddlers at home but they learned what was expected and most of them followed the rules very well. (Maybe I'm just old and tired. LOL!)

      Delete
    2. It's those watching from the corners who frustrate me. It's easy to watch a football game and yell at the players when you aren't in the middle of the field.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I sometimes believe we are all TALL 2 year olds too.
    I totally agree that discipline has gone out the window and makes two year olds in control...
    Its so sad and makes me wonder what the world will be like in a few years..probably a bunch of spoiled "brats" ruling the world.
    Gotta love them despite everything.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree that discipline has often been excessive in the past. Like almost everything in life and history, the pendulum swings. I still have much to learn even though I feel like I should be the expert. LOL! (Most of the "experts" don't have more than a child or two if any.)

      Delete