Saturday, April 01, 2023

Drafty

This old blog is getting drafty. My blog list is full of unfinished drafts. Incomplete thoughts. Unfinished sentences. Fragmented reflections. I'm undergoing a complete metamorphosis and don't quite know how to put my thoughts into words. Transitions take time, often more time that I desire yet I'm well into the change and have come to appreciate its many unexpected blessings, although I am occasionally overtaken by the expectations of yesteryear. They come with a clutching of my heart, a tightening in my shoulders, and (often) the urge to fight back tears. I've been reminded that singleness too is a gift, but sometimes I momentarily forget.

Change can come on suddenly and drastic, like this afternoon's weather. We had an almost summer-like day until about an hour or so ago. The clouds rolled in, the wind changed, and the temperatures began their descent. It's raining. There will be no half-naked chalk drawing on the sidewalk tomorrow. It will be an entirely different kind of day and we will find different kinds of pleasures to pass the time. This is the way of life, and this is okay.

I'm not sure I can recap the past two weeks... (I had a birthday sandwiched in there somewhere. Still getting younger, although the mirror doesn't always cooperate. LOL! Down to 31 again.) Mostly thoughts have swirled though my mind, never quite settling before being stirred up and tossed about again. I stared into the eyes of a 15 year old Martha who appeared in my Facebook memories and found a complete stranger. I wondered at what felt like an impossibility... How can one not know herself? How does that happen? And the thoughts begin to swirl again. They're swirling still...

5 comments:

  1. ...it poured here this afternoon and now the sun is out, this is what you call spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life ebbs and flows just as the weather in our area too. I'm so grateful for seeing the sunshine after so many weeks of rain and ugh...
    Keep on keeping on Martha.
    I am reading about the transformation of you. Its exciting, mysterious ,hard, like sandpaper, but still refining. I liked you before and I really like the Martha you are becoming. (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the sudden alterations in weather, a parallel is drawn between life’s unpredictable moments. When a summer-like day suddenly turns into rain, it becomes a metaphorical representation of life’s twists and turns. Acceptance of the different kinds of happiness that come with different days marks transition in life.

    Sharing similarities with unexpected weather changes, being locked out, either as a result of unfulfilled past dreams or unforeseen circumstances, is something that everybody can relate to. In times of difficult moments like those situations in Manhattan when you need lockout service manhattan help becomes crucial to have a smooth transition period and keep moving on.

    ReplyDelete