Saturday, January 08, 2022

Pie and Pottery

Last Saturday, when I was home hobbling around on the ankle I'd rolled coming down the stairs on Friday, I found a bag of frozen elderberries in the freezer. Since I wasn't about to go out running around on a sore ankle, and the kitchen was clean, I decided to make a pie. It turned out beautiful! Perfect even, if you are a fan of Elderberry Pie. Which a few of us are. Well, two of us anyway...

I have a friend who loves elderberry pie very much and since it can be somewhat rare, I sent him a text to see if he was interested in a piece, since I had one with his name on it. Of course he was, it was catching up with him that was proving a challenge.
 

On Sunday evening I put two good sized slices of pie into a plastic box. I took it to work with me on Monday morning when it was really cold outside. On Monday evening, when Hannah and I visited the chiropractor's office, I asked my friend if he still wanted some pie. And did he still want to stop by and pick it up, or did he want the two pieces I had out in my car? He decided on the ones in my car. ha ha! I got a text later saying it was "the best supper ever!"

This morning he stopped by with something for me. A fluted pie plate/dish that he made at the pottery studio! Isn't that fabulous? I love it. And now I have this inner desire to fill it with Italian Cookies, probably because I didn't bake or eat any fancy Christmas cookies this year. It would also make a fantastic ice cream dish. I think it would be perfect for Fudge Ripple... :0)

8 comments:

  1. Totally delightful..love the pie plate and the elderberry pie sounds delish. It looks picture perfect!!
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week in spite of being sick. All I need now are some cookies.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I fell in love with the fluted pie dish as soon as I saw it on fb. Love it!!! But then I like things that are "fluted". I have a couple bowls that are fluted! (Thrift Store a long time ago)
    How wonderful you could share a couple slices. When I hear "elderberry" I think of Arsnic and Old Lace...to die for ...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, he had me smiling this morning! Isn't it great? He's become quite the potter!!!
      Arsenic and Old Lace. Ah, yes!
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Elderberry pie sounds great, even though I've never had it!

    On Saturday I made a pecan pie and an apple pie for a lunch at church after Sunday's worship service.

    Tip of the day: Even though there's "never" anything there, ALWAYS check the oven to make sure there's nothing in it before preheating. Ask my slightly browned potholder how I know this!

    What a great thank you for your pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Always check the oven. Mom kept all kinds of things in there. Most often is was extra storage for pots and pans, but every once in a while it was dinner defrosting in an out of the way place. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. He is. I am amazed at what he creates. And blessed to have a piece or two.
      :0)

      Delete