Sunday, July 18, 2021

This Barn

 From today's vantage point, although 50 years still sounds like an eternity, it also feels like yesterday...

I loved New Hampshire as a seven year old, and I loved it this summer too. The house felt so familiar, and walking into the old sitting room and through the downstairs bedrooms was like walking back in time. And then the barn...

I don't recall spending any amount of time inside the barn as a child, but it's presence was an integral part of the property's ambiance. Years ago there were parties there. I know not only because of the old piano, but because of Al's stories. His was a musical family, and especially his mother. Or maybe it was his grandma...

 

When I was in New Hampshire as a child, there  was an old grinding wheel in the yard outside. I was told it's still in the barn, and I saw it in a painting inside the house. It's a pretty fabulous old structure, weathered to perfection.


And over the barn's shoulder, in the clouds beyond the trees, is Mount Washington. Sometimes clear and visible, and sometimes shrouded in mist. 

I kind of love  this place.

PS. An update on last week's barn post. Years ago the giant barn was the Davis dairy farm where Al worked as a teenager during the summer when he stayed at his grandparent's summer home in Jackson, NH where I took the photos of today's barn.

The Barn Collective meets here.

8 comments:

  1. Weathered to Perfection..absolutely love that.
    Your trip back in time to NH was wonderful. I think it was balm to your soul.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I see a bunch of barns and I know that they all have stories to tell, but I rarely know the stories. It's nice that you have these memories. Thanks Martha for joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the memories, and the stories too. Thanks for having me.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Your pictures and stories are so fascinating. Love them all. Such memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little bit of my dad inside. He loved stories too.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. I feel serenity just looking at your photos. What a beautiful place, and how wonderful to go back and remember. The house and barn are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serenity. Yes. That is the perfect word for this place.
      :0)

      Delete