Thursday, September 15, 2016

Leaf Collections and a Long Walk

The trio was here for the morning. I was surprised to walk into the kitchen and find an extensive leaf collection littering my island table. Have I told you they like collecting?

I never cease to be amazed (and sometimes dismayed) at the assortment of items and where the young scientists decide to lay out their treasure, but being a good grandmother, rather than object, like I would have had I caught them sooner, I picked up my camera to record the joyous occasion.

I find it interesting how personality shows up in something as simple as organization. Simon's leaves were a large and random assortment while Lucas laid his smaller collection out in rows. They were quite pleased that I bothered to record their activity. I hope it doesn't encourage them too much. Maybe I need to find them a spot in the barn for all their rocks, leaves, and feathers.





In an attempt to stay active, I took another walk down the road this afternoon. It's a mile and a half one way, and just over a mile the other. Today I took my camera and was distracted by bees in the goldenrod at the edge of my own property. In spite of my attention deficit, I did make it down the road and back again in a decent amount of time.  On my way home a large dog spoke to me from within his invisible enclosure. I named him Guardian and will call him Guard for short, even though I don't have a clue who he belongs to. I think it's a good name.

8 comments:

  1. I love your recordings of your grandchildren's treasures and their organization of them. I love that they find things to do outside,a nd have fun doing it. Too many kids are in the house these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave is doing a great job of teaching them to love being outside. And I am trying not to squash their love of collecting and categorizing.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not today. Wait! I did toss one stick outside. And I saw one chicken leaf too.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful leaf collection! You were right in allowing them to leave them and to document them. So many times we get angry over things like this when we should be thankful for them. Many parents would love to have that kind of collection from a missing child or child that has left the earth too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, these are little moments that I've learned to love. (Okay, sometimes I'm still learning.) Maybe grandkids are a second chance to be excited over the little things, like leaves spread out on a table.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. Did you try to identify any of the trees with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their grandpa showed them his tree identification book.
      :0)

      Delete